Online course: LOMA 308 - The Business of Insurance: Applying Financial Concepts
LOMA 308 course presents basic economic, financial, and business concepts and practices related to insurance company management, operations, solvency, and profitability. The course utilizes extensive examples and exercises that enable learners to understand and apply important financial concepts and principles in their own work environments.
This course is delivered as a highly interactive online course, and non-proctored modularized exams are integrated within the course.
The course is online and can be accessed both from computer and mobile devices.
Participants in this module will be allocated 20 credits point related to continuous professional training for insurance distributors according to the ASF Norm no.20 / 2018.
The course can only be completed once in the continuous professional training program.
- Describe the basic types of financial products and identify the financial needs these products are designed to address
- Explain the steps in the control process and describe the important control mechanisms insurance companies use to measure, evaluate, and improve their operational performance
- Describe the major categories of life insurer investments and explain how insurers use the required rate of return, the risk-free rate of return, and the risk premium to evaluate these investments
- Describe how insurers determine the values for a product’s cost of benefits, operating expenses, and investment earnings and how they evaluate product performance
- Describe how insurers use cost-benefit analysis, rightsizing, outsourcing, remote work arrangements, and information technology to manage general and administrative expenses
- Explain how insurers use information technology to manage and improve the customer experience and key business processes
- Perform present value calculations, explain how the present value of an annuity is calculated, and describe insurer applications of present value
- Describe the ratio-based systems used by regulators and rating agencies to monitor and evaluate insurance company solvency and profitability
All LOMA courses have been reviewed and updated as appropriate to reflect the DOL Fiduciary Rule.
Employees of companies from the insurance and financial services industry.
Module 1: The Economy
- Lesson 1 — The Economy
- Lesson 2 — How the Economy Affects Financial Institutions
Module 2: The Insurance Industry
- Lesson 1 — Insurance Company Structure and Management
- Lesson 2 — Managing Company Solvency & Profitability
- Lesson 3 — Achieving Operational Efficiency
- Lesson 4 — Information Management
Module 3: Financial Concepts
- Lesson 1 — Time Value of Money
- Lesson 2 — Financial Reports and Plans
- Lesson 1 — Collecting, Analyzing, and Reporting Financial Information
- Lesson 2 — Presenting Data Visually
Number of Exam Questions: 60
The participation fee may be subject to changes based on LOMA policy.
Investiția necesară pentru a participa la acest curs include
- accesul pentru o perioada de 6 luni la platforma de elearning si sustinerea unui test de evaluare